Living Different


     Countercultural. That is what I am striving to be. Not in a bad way but I want my spending to look different then the worlds. I want my time to be spent different. I want my desires to be different. Isn’t that how Jesus lived?
    The things he did were not the norm but were so needed. He loved the unlovable. He spent his days with the least of these. He died for a people that did not understand what he was doing.
     It’s easy to do things without even thinking. Buy that new car, we deserve it after all, we work hard. Purchase those tennis shoes that will enhance your work out. Buy lunches every day at work, because it’s to much to fix your own from home (I am the worst about this).
     Do you know that what the U.S. and Europe spend on perfume cost more then clean water for all global citizens? I need to pack my own lunch for heaven’s sake.
     Could we get to the point we don’t purchase items we don’t need? Instead we sponsor children, water filtration systems, healthcare for those who can not afford it?
     From the book 7 by Jen Hatmaker; The poor don’t lack ambition, imagination or intelligence. They lack resources. We have what they require and more then we need.
     When we do spend we get to chose where our money goes. It may take a little time but shopping locally helps our communities and sometimes the least of these. My go to place for special gifts is New Creation. Their items are made by trafficked women. My dollar changes lives when I spend it there. My favorite Friday lunch spot is Our Community Place. They are training the homeless community and giving them a hand up, not a hand out.
     I can do better, my goal this week. No purchased lunches. It’s a small thing, inconvenient but will bring change. What simple thing can you do today that makes a difference?




Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and closeup
                              

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enjoy It All

Our Gifts to Him

Representing Christ Well With Our Lives