Do For One


"Do for one what you wish you could do for everyone”.  This was part of what I heard from our pastor on Sunday. Mother Teresa said, “If you can't feed one hundred people then feed one”.  This takes so much pressure off because I don't have to try to change the world, but it causes me to know that I do have to move.  Do something for someone.  There are no more excuses.  

We have so many distractions in our lives: jobs to go to, meals to prepare, children or elderly parents to care for and marriages to build. As well as the things we don't necessarily need to do but spend hours on like social media, movies, television and video games.  We can feel like we don't have time to visit the neighbor, bake the load of bread for the friend or invite the overwhelmed family of young children over for supper.  

I am in the midst of struggling to find balance.  I want to love my family, friends, coworkers and neighbors well but as an introvert, it's much more comfortable to go home, close the door and just be.  This is ok, sometimes.  But how am I going to help the one without being where the one is?  Much of what I do with Village to Village is done online.  The connections we make in other countries are through social media, so I don't even have to leave my home to make those connections. To be a Jesus follower in other countries though, I need to be a Jesus follower here... in my country, my state, my town, my neighborhood.  

Mother Teresa also reminds us that the cup of water you give the sick, the way you feed a baby, the way you teach a child, the joy with which you smile at your own at home-all this is God's love in the world today.  

It's not hard and it's always a blessing.  It's not what Christ is asking us to do, it's what He requires of us.  Matthew 25:35-40 says, For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.  "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink:  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'  "The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

This is something that does not even need to take our finances, just our time.  Imagine a world where each one simply loved on another one outside of their immediate circle.  Where each one that had multiple coats in their closet gave to one that doesn't have even one.  Where each time we bake a batch of cookies we keep some aside for a lonely neighbor.  A place that was safe for those that are different, where we speak to the child in the wheelchair so they know they are just like we are.  Where we ask the mom with multiple children if she needs an extra hand getting groceries in her car.  

I am beginning the practice of asking God what I can do for Him each day.  My life should be a reflection of His so if I can see with His eyes, I will not miss opportunities to love others.  They are all around us.  Change your vision and you will change a life.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enjoy It All

Representing Christ Well With Our Lives

Our Gifts to Him